Thursday, April 7, 2011

Selah is here!!!

Selah Blair Taylor arrived Monday, April 4th. She made it here though at 5 lbs, 7 oz and about 19 inches long. There were many answered prayers Monday and it was evident God's hand was at work. The exit procedure was a blessing and successful. The were not able to intubate Selah because her jaw is so small/recessed and there just isn't room to establish an airway. They then moved to the tracheostomy and had a difficult time with that. They did get it in though and established an effective airway for her. She of course was hooked to the placenta for all of this and did not lose any oxygen. We are truly thankful for the results of Monday's procedure and know it is all from God's hand...answered prayers.
She is being closely monitored in the NICU here at UMC. She, as well as us, have been surrounded with a team of compassionate and knowledgeable nurses, doctors, etc. We are truly grateful and know yet again it is an indication of God's mighty hand at work. She was moved off the vetilator today and the CPAP (continuous postive air pressure) machine was connected to her trach. So she this is allowing her to breathe a little more on her own. Her oxygen levels and heart rate are staying good. She does have her hands and feet restrained to keep her from getting to the tracheostomy site and causing damage. She is also being given a sedative to try to help her rest and keep her from getting too stimulated. They want the trach site to form/heal and so they have to take these precautions. It is so hard to see her like this but we try to remember is to help her and to help the trach get "set" where it can form and heal.
We are so humbled and amazed to be able to meet her and to know she is our precious gift from God. She is so beautiful. I just look at her and am truly honored and thankful for this experience...a miracle from God. We go visit her regularly but it is usually a hard visit. We are so thankful to see her there and to here the good reports. I see her little hands and feet restrained though and it hurts me. I want to talk to her, touch her, sing to her, read her verse in Psalms to her but it seems to get her worked up. I tried to sing to her and she started squriming and turning red and trying to cry...the thought of her struggling broke my heart. Spencer tried to talk to her and she just eyed him and squirmed to try to get to him and got so worked up. We just want her to know we are here and we love her and that we haven't just left her all alone. But then she gets so stimulated and stirred up...exactly what the doctors don't recommend. So, it has been very emotional. I try to go and just look at her and pray her verse in Psalm 139 over her...usually with sobs and tears streaming down my face.
We are trying to just be thankful we can see her and pray over her. We know God has placed amazing doctors and nurses around her. We know our prayers as well as many others on her behalf are being lifted up. We are trying take it day by day and to celebrate all of the blessings along the way. We cannot thank you enough for the prayers and support for us and Selah...thank you! I have definitely had some prayers this week that have been just silent...just quiet before God, resting in knowing he hears my heart and resting in knowing so many are speaking those words I don't have for us...thank you!

6 comments:

  1. Blair,
    We are so happy for you and Spencer, and of course sweet Selah! What a miracle she is! I'm so glad to hear she's improving day by day. You've got a strong baby girl on your hands! We are continually praying for each of you during this time, and look forward to meeting your precoius bundle of joy! Hoping your own recovery from surgery goes well too! Love you!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad Selah is doing so well, and I'm extremely thankful that you feel at least a little better from surgery so that you can go see your sweet baby. We are praying for you and your precious family. Please let me know if you need anything at all. Love ya!
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy she is progressing in her recovery and that she has all these caring people around her. I will keep praying for sweet baby Selah, for you, and Spencer. Selah is truly a God's blessing and miracle. Let me know if you need anything. Love, Magda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Spencer and Blair!!! Sam, Cole and I are so proud for you both. We are so excited to hear about Selah's progress and just can't wait to get to see you guys and Baby Selah. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just so happy for you guys and for the fact that the Lord's power is so evident in that sweet baby girl's life. Praying for you daily and claiming peace over you all as you go through this beautiful but difficult journey. Selah is so precious, and it blessed my heart to see you guys the other day. She is going to be such a strong girl with such a heart for God. What an amazing story you all can share. Praying you have endurance to run the race. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blair, I'm playing catch up here and tears are streaming down my face. What a beautiful miracle Selah is! What a perfect name for her! You are amazing, I am honored to be able to read what you have gone through, what the Lord has taught you, and I know your sweet family will be such a blessing to so many. I am really just in awe. Of our God, who knows ALL . Thank you for sharing this with me. I look forward to our visits!!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete