Saturday, March 26, 2011

Prayer for Selah

Psalm 139:13-16
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made, your works are wonderful I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
One night a little bit ago I was lying in bed and just crying out to God. I was crying about all the concerns I have about Selah. I was crying about the broken "plans" of a perfectly healthy baby and pregnancy. I was crying about the uncertainty of what is to come. Unspoken questions were whirling through my mind and I was just coming before God, not really speaking just crying out in hopes that he knew all the unspoken fear, hurt, disappointment, and questions. As I spent time before him, he gently led me to this scripture in Psalms. I read it and asked him what he wanted me to learn. He spoke to me that it is his mighty hand that has knit and formed Selah from the beginning. It is his loving hand that is sustaining her life. It is his powerful hand that has ordained her days. So, he knows about all the "concerns" and uncertainty. He knows about what may or may not be "typical." He knows and is aware of all that she has going on and what it may involve. Now I don't understand it all or even like it all. But after reading this scripture and seeking his word, I knew he was reassuring me that not any of it is out of his control. Since that night I have prayed this scripture over Selah each day. I put my hand on my stomach and pray it, claim it, over her out loud so she and myself can hear it. God's word is mighty and alive...truth!
As I have begun to do this and have tried to see that God has formed "all" of her, my prayers for her have transformed...only by his doing. I started out praying for her to not miscarry, for her to live. I have prayed for her to grow, for her to be healthy. As we've found out about possible "concerns" or abnormalities, I have prayed that she would be healed. But with time God has changed my prayers and desires of my heart...I now come before him and ask him to help her to live, to breathe, to swallow, to develop according to his good and his purpose. Not that I don't want her to be completely healthy and happy, no problems, but as I have tried to surrender my will and desires to him, he has helped change my prayers as he is aligning the desires of my heart with his.
In addition to this there is another prayer I have been claiming over her. It came from a song I heard on the radio. I came in one night and heard a song starting. It hit home and was emotional and I raced to turn it off...just didn't want to hear it. Not too long after, I came in again and heard it coming on. As I raced to turn it off, God's gentle voice said "listen." I hesitantly sat down to listen. I'll try to summarize as gracefully as possible :). It was a man singing from a father and mother's perspective. They were pregnant and being told their baby will have certain conditions and won't have a good chance of survival...basically. The man sings from his wife's perspective that she just wants to see her baby, to touch her baby, to hold her baby, to love her baby as long as she can. Of course, tears are streaming down my face...tears of healing though. These are desires of my heart that have been unspoken but are so real. As I listened, I knew God was reassuring me that he knows these desires and he just wanted to remind me. He taught me that I need to speak these desires out loud to him, to claim them. So, after this I have also began to pray with hope and confidence that we will continue to experience God's hand on this pregnancy and that we will get to meet Selah, to hold her, to touch her, and to love her as long as we can...in God's grace.

2 comments:

  1. Hey,
    My dear sweet friend! Bradley called this morning and told me of your blog and everything that is happening with Selah. I have read all your postings and girl you have always been an amazing woman to me even from the long ago childhood we shared, but reading your story now has been all inspiring. I thank God for everything He is teaching you and for you being so opened to share it with the world. I love you, and am praying for you, Spencer, and that sweet girl Selah!

    Love,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey chicka! Dawn and I are praying for you guys and we love ya'll lots! Keep leaning on God and trusting in him and he will take care of you. I can't begin to imagine how hard this has been but we must remember that Christ never said our lives would be easy. Just remember whatever Satan throws at us God uses to make us stronger! On a different note, do you remember the night Spencer and I sprayed you with the water house at my parents house because you and a few others were trying to roll our yard? What a great night! HA HA HA

    ReplyDelete